This problem can happen on newer macOS versions. The reason is the increase security policy that puts all downloaded programs into quarantine.
- Open a command line terminal (e.g. click on the magnifying glass in the top right corner of the screen to open the Sportlight Search and type "terminal".
- Change to the directory which contains the downloaded GRITS Toolbox folder (e.g. /Users/xyz/Downloads/GRITS-Toolbox-1.3.0). Please note: Inside the GRITS folder (e.g. GRITS-Toolbox-1.3.0) should be a folder MacOS with the executable start program named GRITS.
- Type the following command:
- You should see an attribute "com.apple.quarantine"
- Now we will remove the quarantine flag for all files and folders of the download:
sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine GRITS-Toolbox-1.3.0/
- You will need the admin password for this. After this you should be able to start the GRITS executable in the MacOS folder.
Please note: Make sure to perform the command on the entire folder for GRITS Toolbox not just on the executable or the MacOS folder. Otherwise the program will still not start or might crash.